Hotel Reception Certification
If you own a hotel and are looking to train staff in how best to run reception, this course is definitely ideal for your business needs. It is also the perfect way in which to make sure that your brand new employees are covering every single aspect that is necessary for the frontline of your hotel business.
As a hotel receptionist, your team members have the pivotal role of taking customer requests and making them a reality, by flawlessly co-ordinating between staff and management and working as the backbone of your hotel.
This course is offered entirely online, and this allows your employees the freedom to study wherever and whenever is most convenient for them.
Through these 16 absorbing modules, any team member will quickly be able to grasp what it takes, in order to become an invaluable asset in the hospitality industry.
What’s Covered in the Course?
When studying this course, your team members will learn about:
- The different positions that exist in the hotel reception field and how to train for those that best suit your business’s needs;
- How to take reservations and check guests in and out;
- The importance of customer service and how to keep customers happy;
- Why you must be aware of both verbal and non-verbal communication;
- Telephone etiquette and how this is central as a hotel receptionist;
- Dealing with unhappy or angry guests and how to appease them;
- All the duties for which a hotel receptionist is responsible for and the relevant skills, including technical and clerical;
- How to work well with the various departments throughout your hotel;
- Dealing with stress in the job;
- The legal issues that are important to be aware of, such as the current laws and regulations that may impact your employees and customers.
What are the Benefits of the Course?
When you enrol any staff member on this course, they can look forward to a whole host of benefits, including:
- Learning valuable skills, in order to help them truly excel in the hospitality industry;
- Gaining skills for a position with job opportunities all around the world;
- Upon completion of the course, your team member will be rewarded with an industry-recognised and fully-accredited certificate;
- They can study the materials on any device available to them;
- Your staff will be able to take advantage of great online support;
- The course materials will always be accessible in the future: this is perfect for refresher courses.
- To learn about different training options for hotel reception jobs
- To understand the career opportunities available in hotel reception
- To know what you need to be a success in hotel reception
- To find out what you can expect throughout this course
- To learn about the most common tasks for hotel receptionists
- To learn how to check guests in and out
- To understand how to take reservations
- To learn about the guest services a hotel receptionist is responsible for
- To learn about the fundamentals of customer service
- To learn about the importance of empathy for travellers
- To understand more about communicating with customers at the desk
- To learn how important a first impression is for a customer
- To learn about the fundamentals of communication
- To understand how verbal skills play a role in hotel reception
- To understand how non-verbal communication skills play a role in hotel reception
- To understand the importance of written communication skills in the workplace
- To understand the fundamentals of telephone etiquette
- To understand why telephone etiquette is important in a hotel
- To learn about the dos of telephone etiquette
- To learn about the don'ts of telephone etiquette
- To learn about difficult hotel guests
- To explore some common types of difficult hotel guests
- To learn some tips that will help in dealing with difficult guests
- To understand how to put these tips into practice
- To learn about the administrative skills, interests, and qualities needed as a hotel receptionist
- To learn about the main duties, clerical, and technical skills required for hotel reception work
- To understand the importance of good communication and organisational abilities
- To know how to prioritise, multitask, and problem solve easily
- To understand the importance of key skills and computer programs for receptionists
- To explain the need for a property management system in hotel reception work
- To be introduced to the OPERA Property Management System program (PMS)
- To become comfortable with the basic functions of the OPERA PMS
- To understand the concept of branding and how it applies to the hospitality industry
- To explain the value of establishing a standard and what is expected from a branded hotel
- To determine the importance and impact of standards in the industry
- To understand what a star rating is and how it is applied to any hotel
- To learn about the importance of teamwork
- To learn about the key characteristics of a team player
- To learn how to work with the kitchen
- To learn how to work with maintenance and housekeeping
- To understand hotel safety and security
- To explore different safety topics that apply to the workplace
- To explore different security topics that apply to the workplace
- To understand the hotel receptionist's role in maintaining a safe and secure environment
- To learn about selling and marketing hotel services as a receptionist
- To differentiate between upselling and cross-selling approaches
- To understand the benefits of reception upselling and cross-selling products and services
- To know some basic hotel sales techniques and when to apply them
- To learn what it means to dress for professionalism
- To understand how to dress for an interview
- To learn about choosing appropriate clothing for work
- To learn about grooming for hospitality
- To explore the definition of stress
- To understand how stress applies to the role of the hotel receptionist
- To discover ways to keep stress under control
- To understand why it is important to control stress in the workplace
- To explain the importance of adhering to codes, laws, and regulations in hospitality
- To understand the rules of disclosure pertaining to business and domain names
- To explain fire safety regulations and how to adhere to them in the hotel
- To know the importance of the Credit Card Order within the Data Protection Act
- To understand the role of the hotel receptionist
- To explore the history of the hotel receptionist
- To explore the basic requirements of becoming a hotel receptionist
- To explore continuing education and training for hotel receptionists
Who can take the Hotel Reception Certification course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 16 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 16 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 16 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Hotel Reception Certification course?We estimate that the course will take about 10 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.