Food Allergen Awareness Certification
Food allergies are triggered by allergens - certain proteins found in foods. Allergic reactions can be severe and even life-threatening if you are unable to properly identify, manage, and treat them. Because the amount of people affected by food allergies is rising, awareness of allergens is increasing worldwide. It’s therefore of utmost importance to remain well-informed and have an action plan in place in case of a reaction.
This course will provide an introduction to food allergens, with the result of increasing awareness and knowledge surrounding the subject. We will also be looking at the effects that food allergies may have on the body, to increase confidence and minimise the risks associated with allergic reactions.
You Will Learn:
- The difference between food allergies, food intolerance and coeliac disease
- What foods are most likely to cause an allergic reaction and how to avoid them
- How allergens are listed on food products
- How food allergies are diagnosed and how this may help you manage them
- About the actions to take in the event of an allergic reaction
Benefits of Taking This Course:
- You will gain insight into what allergens are
- You will learn more about identifying allergens in specific foods
- You will understand why it is important to be aware of allergic reactions and what some of the symptoms are
- You will gain insight into the legal responsibilities of those in the food industry with regards to the labelling of allergens
- Your knowledge will allow you to prevent or minimise allergic reactions
Who can take the Food Allergen Awareness Certification course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 4 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 4 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 4 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Food Allergen Awareness Certification course?We estimate that the course will take about 3.0 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.