Unconscious Bias Certification
Unconscious bias is a problem across all industries, and its effects are also felt in higher education institutions. In summary, it refers to a tendency to favour or discriminate against a group of people, such as women, LGBT individuals or those with a different skin colour.
Given the significant consequences of unconscious bias, it is important to know how it manifests and how to overcome it. In this course, you will learn about the psychological processes underpinning unconscious bias and how we can make a conscious decision to think differently about others.
You Will Learn:
- What unconscious bias is, and why we tend to be biased against or in favour of specific groups
- Why unconscious bias leads to unfair treatment and discrimination in the workplace
- The test we can use to measure unconscious bias and the limitations of this test
- How to challenge unconscious bias and judge individuals on their merits, as opposed to unrelated personal characteristics
Benefits of Taking this Course:
- It will help you identify and tackle your own unconscious bias
- If you are responsible for equality and diversity training in your place of work, this course will guide you in tackling an important issue in this area
- If you have a general interest in psychology, this course will give you an overview of a key concept within the field of social psychology
- If you work with people from a range of groups, this course will help you spot unfair treatment and bias in the workplace
Who can take the Unconscious Bias Certification course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 4 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 4 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 4 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Unconscious Bias Certification course?We estimate that the course will take about 2.5 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.