Touch Typing and Shorthand Certificate
Touch typing is a skill with powerful benefits, including: enhanced productivity, improved focus, increased speed, accuracy, job opportunities and even health. When you know how to touch type you open up a whole new world of productivity and information management capability.
Shorthand is a skill and an art. Many people have no idea of it’s incredible potential for recording information, whether this is for note taking during lectures, meetings and official events, or for recording interviews. Learning shorthand allows you to take down notes at double the speed of longhand writing used by most people. This skill is not only helpful, it’s actually essential for certain professions, including journalism, minute taking and stenography.
This course has been designed for office workers, typists, writers, journalists, professionals, employers, business owners and anyone who wants to work in one of these fields or individuals who simply want to improve their typing or note taking ability.
This comprehensive course covers everything you need to know about touch typing and shorthand, delivered in an accessible, straightforward tone and divided into different modules that you can progress with at whatever pace suits your needs.
The course includes diagrams and reference material to help you understand the technical aspects such as keyboard layout, and tools and techniques for you to apply the knowledge you learn practically, including exercises, tests and worksheets to reinforce the knowledge.
What you will learn
This course teaches you:
- Different styles of typing and how they impact speed and quality
- How to train your fingers and brain to create muscle memory for effective touch typing
- The basic finger position and posture needed to prevent injury and aid typing speed
- Key drills for each hand to gradually build up the neurological connections needed for touch typing
- The ancient origins of shorthand and why written script is inefficient
- The theories and practical development of your own short hand style
Benefits of taking this course
After taking this course you will:
- Have an enhanced typing speed and a foundation for accuracy and quality
- Undo bad typing habits and develop a posture that ensures long term safety
- Understand exactly how to enhance your note taking speed and apply it to your role
- Have a personal reference book of shorthand abbreviations you can use immediacy
- Have systematic and regular practices to continually improve typing and shorthand
- Feel confident in your ability to effectively and efficiently take notes and record information
Modern business relies on the effective capture of information, but most people are wasting time and effort doing it ineffectively. Learning to touch type and write with shorthand can easily double your productivity, while empowering your fingers to do the hard work frees up your brain to think more clearly. Free you mind and speed up your work with touch typing and shorthand today.
- Understand the development of typing and keyboard layout
- Learn about the different styles of typing and how they impact speed and quality
- Understand the benefits of touch typing both mentally and physically
- Discover how to train your fingers and brain to create muscle memory
- Introduce the basic finger position and posture needed to prevent injury and aid typing speed
- Learn how to position and reposition the fingers on the home row and use the key bumps
- Practise key drills for each hand to gradually build up the neurological connections needed
- Increase finger dexterity and muscle memory by introducing each row at a time
- Discover the ancient origins of shorthand and understand why written script can be inefficient
- Learn about the two most common styles of shorthand in use today and their evolution and derivations
- Test your own natural writing speed and grasp the major benefits and pitfalls of shorthand writing
- Understand the need for specialist equipment and be able to choose what is most suitable
- Learn the basic Pitman stroke theory and practise some simple outlines
- Find out how to simplify words to convey meaning without vowels
- Practise the Teeline alphabet and use it in combination with word simplification
- Discover how abbreviation can rapidly enhance your note taking speed and effectiveness
- Learn how to improve your typing skills with regular practice and personal development
- Learn about the evolution of keyboards and how they suit specific individuals and tasks
- Discover different technologies which can assist your typing development
- Discover equipment and software for transcribing efficiently
Who can take the Touch Typing and Shorthand Certificate course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 5 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 5 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 5 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Touch Typing and Shorthand Certificate course?We estimate that the course will take about 7 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.