Sick Leave Certification
Almost every employee will take sick leave at some point during their time with a company. This means that every business owner must be aware of the laws governing how and when workers can take sick leave, how much sick pay they can receive and how they should be welcomed back to work.
In this course, you will learn how to handle both long and short-term sick leave and how to ensure employees are treated fairly when they take time off due to injury and illness.
You Will Learn:
- The circumstances in which a worker is entitled to sick leave and Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), and how much SSP they can receive
- How self-certification and “fit notes” work and how to deal with long-term sick leave
- How to make reasonable adjustments for an employee who is returning to work following illness or injury, and how to welcome them back.
- How to comply with employment law when dismissing someone on grounds of illness or injury
- What to do if you suspect that an employee is fabricating illness or injury
Benefits of Taking This Course:
- If you are an employer, this course will help you meet your obligations under UK employment law with regards to managing illness and injury
- If you work in an HR role, this course will help you work with others in your organisation to devise appropriate sick leave policies
- If you are a worker, this course will provide you with an overview of your right to sick pay and sick leave
- If you are a manager, this course will help you communicate effectively with employees who have been on sick leave and work with them to ease their transition back into the workplace
Who can take the Sick Leave Certification course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 5 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 5 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 5 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Sick Leave Certification course?We estimate that the course will take about 0.5 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.