Questioning and Listening Techniques Certification
Questioning and listening techniques are at the heart of effective communication in an organisation. Poor and ineffective communication is as much a cost to the business as effective communication is an asset.
On the subject of communication, this is not just a case of efficiently and effectively passing on work instructions, but it encompasses everything from giving and receiving feedback, negotiations, customer service and teamwork.
Poor and ineffective communication damages productivity and staff morale. This course teaches the two vital communication tools, showing how they work in building constructive business and personal relationships.
It builds on the existing skills of an employee and develops new ones, in order to make them both a good listener and a good questioner to get the most out of their relationships with colleagues.
What’s Covered in the Course?
Staff members can expect to cover the following on this course:
- Existing questioning and listening skills are supported and enhanced, and new ones are developed;
- An understanding of the most important communication skills;
- How to communicate more effectively;
- The causes and consequences of miscommunication;
- Advice for implementing important listening and questioning skills in the workplace;
- How to identify hidden meanings in communication and how they give insight into expression;
- Learning to actively and reflectively listen, in order to reveal important information and insight;
- Effective questioning, in order to assist in analysing information in interactions with others;
- How to effectively and accurately ask many types of questions and understand in what situations they should be asked;
- Techniques to utilise the information received from questions, in order to improve clarity and clear up ambiguity;
- How to implement an action plan, in order to enhance strengths and continue to build knowledge;
- How to provide and use positive feedback for personal development.
What are the Benefits of the Course?
Employees may expect to profit from the following benefits in association with this course:
- The company benefits from the enhanced questioning and listening skills of the employee, as there is an immediate improvement in effective communication;
- Better interpersonal relationships are fostered, and teamwork and co-operation improve;
- There are less instances of miscommunication;
- The course is online and taught in a modular format that enables the employee to study in their own time;
- Understand the significance of effective communication in the workplace and the cost of poor communication
- Comprehend the implications of intended meaning versus perceived meaning and learn how to prevent discrepancies
- Develop a thorough understanding of communication barriers and blocks and prevent them devaluing communication
- Identify communication styles and how they impact the nature and effectiveness of interpersonal communication
- Raise awareness of the significance of active and reflective listening and understand the difference between quality listening and merely 'hearing'
- Learn how to devote more mental processing capacity to the act of listening to enhance the quantity of data which can be processed
- Understand a variety of listening styles and discover how to apply them appropriately to various scenarios for maximum effectiveness
- Identify and prevent listening barriers which hamper efforts to actively listen, build rapport and connect with another person
- Discover the vital role questions play in our everyday communication and how they can be used to strategically gather information
- Understand how your questioning stance and intention impacts the way in which you ask for information and receive answers
- Identify specific questioning techniques and find out how they are best suited to specific occasions, people and information
- Comprehend the pool of question types that can be used to obtain the required information with the appropriate level of detail
- Discover the alarming lack of mutual understanding that is the result of many interpersonal communications and how it impacts individuals and businesses
- Learn how to best gather and confirm information using question funnels while checking and increasing receptivity
- Develop the ability to correctly understand and interpret unconscious hidden and dissonant emotions communicated linguistically and non-verbally
- Comprehend the significance of changes in body language and paralinguistics and how they can directly communicate emotional changes
Who can take the Questioning and Listening Techniques Certification course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 4 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 4 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 4 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Questioning and Listening Techniques Certification course?We estimate that the course will take about 8 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.