Mental Health First Aid
Mental health first aid is one of the fastest growing and most necessary fields of today. With mental health becoming a serious and widespread problem, it is necessary that there are people prepared to lend a helping hand and offer immediate help to those suffering.
In the past, the stigma related to mental health has often prevented this kind of help from reaching the people affected. Although plenty of emphasis is placed on physical health and traditional first aid, this is not always the case when it comes to mental health and mental health first aid.
In this course, you have the chance to become well-versed in the different types of mental illnesses and how to both support and guide the people who have them. However, people trained in mental health first aid are not meant to replace mental health professionals. Instead, they are meant to be the initial support offered to people struggling with their mental health. This could include emergency situations, people in crisis or people dealing with a sudden worsening of their condition.
What You Will Learn:
- What exactly the field of mental health first aid is
- What people trained in mental health first aid can expect
- What the most common mental illnesses are
- How to approach and react to people in a mental health crisis
- How to handle and approach individual mental illnesses uniquely
The Benefits of Taking This Course:
- Gain the tools to properly identify, handle and provide support for those who are struggling with mental health problems
- Be able to help members of your community, family, or workplace who are dealing with mental health problems
- Get an in-depth understanding of mental health and several individual mental illnesses
- Be able to properly respond to a mental health crisis and provide initial support
- Learn about a problem that has the potential to impact everyone, as well as what you can do, to be a part of the solution
Who can take the Mental Health First Aid Certification course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 4 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 4 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 4 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Mental Health First Aid Certification course?We estimate that the course will take about 2.5 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.