Foundation in Business Skills
The Foundation in Business Skills course is the perfect choice, if you have staff members who are early on in their career and wish to gain an all-encompassing knowledge of what it takes to run a successful business.
Spread across 16, easy-to-follow modules, students will gain skills in a multitude of business-related areas, including finances, strategies and marketing, giving them the tools that they need, in order to really contribute towards the success of your business.
What’s Covered in the Course?
The well-structured modules of this course cover in detail the following areas:
- The basics of starting a business – from idea generation and business planning to building a strategy and identifying the target market;
- The financial aspects of a business, including initial set-up costs and financing options, as well as ongoing financial needs and requirements, such as cash flow, forecasting, keeping accounts and budgeting;
- How marketing can benefit a business by attracting and retaining customers; this module also includes useful information regarding social media advertising;
- How to effectively create a brand for your business, to ensure that it is attractive within the marketplace;
- What to consider when employing staff, such as recruitment, training, legal considerations and getting the best from your employees;
- Common business administrative requirements, such as the type of insurance that the business may benefit from, what taxes are required and how to pay them and the importance of keeping abreast of appropriate legal and regulatory issues that affect the business;
- How to effectively use technology in your business, including the importance of a well designed website in attracting customers.
What are the Benefits of the Course?
There are a whole host of benefits of taking the Foundation in Business Skills course:
- The structured certification can help to accelerate the student’s career;
- Your business will benefit from having employees who are knowledgeable about what it takes to run a successful enterprise, and you will be rewarded by knowing that you are investing in the future of your team members;
- There are no entry requirements, so your employees needn’t worry about having the right qualifications, in order to apply;
- The course content is online and structured in a modular fashion, so students can study at their own pace, in a place and at a time that suits them.
- Where to begin when starting your business
- How to generate potential ideas
- The personal qualities that you need to run a successful business
- The reasons for a business plan
- The importance of the business plan
- What is generally included in a plan
- How to start your very own plan
- How to start your research into your potential business
- Sources you can use in order to conduct that research
- How to identify your target market
- What we mean by branding
- How branding applies to your business
- How to go about branding your company
- Examples of branding and how effective it is
- What we mean by goals
- How to set attainable goals
- How it fits in with your business plan
- How to tackle issues related to goal setting
- The role of financing
- The different options available when it comes to financing
- How to know how much money you need
- What do you give in return for the financing?
- The basics of accounting and bookkeeping
- What we mean by cash flow
- How to budget for things in your business
- How to deal with invoices and payments
- Why marketing even on a small budget is a good idea
- How to market on that small budget
- Key strategies to take into consideration
- How to take advantage of social media
- How to find the perfect staff
- How to manage staff correctly
- The importance of training them correctly
- How to keep them motivated
- The key legal issues for everybody
- The importance of doing things in the correct manner
- How to deal with issues related to these legalities
- How to get the best advice on dealing with tax
- The main kinds of tax you will have to deal with
- What happens if you do not deal with it correctly?
- How to make life easier for yourself with tax
- The main types of business insurance
- Why you need it
- How to know what applies to you
- The cost of not having the correct insurance
- How technology can improve your business
- How to know you have the correct technology for your business
- How to avoid overpaying
- The importance of keeping on top of technology
- The meaning of business ethics
- How it applies to your business
- The difference it makes to how you operate and are perceived
- The importance of having a website
- What to include on your website
- How to get the website that your business needs
- How to market your website
- How to know when you are ready to grow your business
- How to do it in a controlled manner
- The potential pitfalls of growing your business
- Dealing with the future
Who can take the Foundation in Business Skills course?There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 16 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although students are free to spend as much or as little time as they feel necessary on each module.
Where / when can the course be studied?The course can be studied study at any time and from any internet connected device
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 16 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 16 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if a user fails the test?If the user doesn’t pass the test first time they will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times a test can be taken.
How long does it take to complete the Foundation in Business Skills course?We estimate that the course will take about 10 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.